Bamboo: An eco-friendly alternative to plastic
Most people are becoming increasingly aware that our consumption of plastic straws is creating a real environmental emergency. Over 500 million straws are being thrown in the garbage yearly with a good majority of those ending up in our oceans. The fact that plastics are not biodegradable, hurt wild life and ocean creatures and leach chemicals into the earth it’s no wonder more and more people are turning to reusable straws as a way to lessen the environmental effects of disposable trash.
Reusable straws come typically in stainless steel, glass, and silicone. However, bamboo straws are becoming popular as a natural alternative to plastic.
What’s good about bamboo
- Bamboo straws are made from organic material and are biodegradable.
- As long as the bamboo was not treated with chemicals it is same to compost.
- Bamboo straws are a great for vegans
- Environmentally sustainable
Cons to using bamboo straws
- Bamboo straws will not last as long as other reusable materials.
- Since they are made from organic material it will break down over time and start to splinter and fray. Caution should be given when allowing young children to use these straws for this reason.
The good news
When properly cared for bamboo straws can last for years.